Soup. Minestrone. Of course.
I had a hankering for vegies. Lots of vegies. And this is just about my favourite soup recipe.
It comes from Alison Holst’s “Meals without Meat”.
It’s super easy.
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 litre vegie stock (I use the tetra pack stuff)
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup or a handful of macaroni (or whatever you have on hand)
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup green beans chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 tins of diced tomatoes
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and saute the onion & garlic
- Add the stock
- Add the potatoes & macaroni and simmer while you prepare the green vegies
- Add the other vegies
- Crack open your tins of tomatoes and beans and add them – bean juice and all (adds to the flavour)
- Simmer gently until the potato and macaroni are cooked
- Serve with cracked pepper and parmesan cheese
Alison suggests adding sugar and salt to taste. I don’t bother.
It freezes like a charm.
Here it is bubbling away on the stove:
Do you have a favourite soup recipe?